A Step by Step Guide to Fix Apple Watch Won’t Update Issue
Keeping your Apple Watch updated as per the latest software version is important in ensuring its longevity and maintaining its perfect sync with other Apple devices. It is also necessary from a security point of view and for fixing bugs as well.
An older system might mean disrupted notifications, inability to control certain apps, data transfer and more. Hence, it is important to keep your watch updated at all times.
If you are facing any Apple Watch update problems and can’t update your Apple Watch then this article is for you.
If your Apple Watch won’t update when you try, then here are some ways to fix the problem.
Restart your Apple Watch
Most of your Apple Watch update issues will be solved by simply restarting your Apple Watch. Just press and hold the side button, slide the Power Off slider and wait for 30 seconds to boot it again.
Unpair your Apple Watch
One of the reasons for the problem called “why my Apple Watch won’t update” could be related to being paired with your iPhone. The software version may not be in sync or there could be other internal issues. To unpair your device, follow these steps:
- Go to the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap the All Watches option in the My Watch tab and click on the info icon to unpair your Apple Watch.
- It will ask for a prompt, accept it and the watch will be unpaired.
- Continue with the update and once it is done, you can pair the watch again.
(Image Source: Apple)
There are two ways to update your Apple Watch:
Update the Apple Watch using iPhone
You can update the Apple Watch using your iPhone. Here are the steps to do it manually.
- On your iPhone, open the Watch
- Go to the My Watch section in the bottom left corner of the app.
- Tap on General > Software Update. A red number beside it indicates that an update is available.
- If there is an update available, it will display the details of the update, its size and will ask if you want to update now or not.
- There is also an option of Automatic Updates available at the top if you want the watch to install the updates on its own.
- Tap on Install Now and the installation will begin.
- On your Watch face, a progress wheel will appear.
- Make sure that the watch stays on until the updates are completed. Don’t restart any of the two devices as well.
- Once updated, the Apple Watch will restart on its own.
(Image source: Imore)
Update the Apple Watch Directly
If your Apple Watch already has watchOS 6, or a later version, you can install the updates directly from the watch without using your iPhone.
- Connect the watch to a stable Wi-Fi signal.
- Press the Digital Crown on your watch to open the main menu.
- Open the Settings apps from the main menu.
- Go to General > Software Update.
- If an update is available, it will show a Download and Install or Install Now Click on that button to start the update.
- Keep your Apple Watch charged and make sure that it doesn’t turn off in the middle of the install.
(Image source: Howtogeek)
Fix the “Unable to Install Update” Error
If the Apple Watch is not updating or your Apple Watch won’t update even after numerous tries, it might be due to the Unlock with iPhone feature. Go to the Watch app then My Watch > Passcode > Unlock with iPhone and deselect the option. Return to the update process and check if your Apple Watch won’t update issue is resolved.
(Image Source: Apple)
That’s it. This is all it takes to fix the Apple Watch won’t update issue. If you are unable to check for updates for Apple Watch, then it might already be the latest version. If you face any difficulty, restart the device and try again. If the update still doesn’t happen, you can bring your watch to us at Rapid Repair, a trusted Apple Devices Service Centre, and get it fixed by our Apple device experts.