Quick Fix to “iphone is disabled connect to itunes” error in iPhone or iPad
It feels really terrible when your iPhone is disabled and you find yourself locked out of the device. However, just like any other issues such as iTunes sync error 54 and No Service, it also has a quick fix. If you are on the lookout for helpful solutions to get rid of this annoying problemon your device, we’ve got you covered. Let’s get to the root of the problem and fix the ‘iPhone is Disabled’ error!
Why the “iPhone is disabled. Connect to iTunes” Error appears
Before trying to resolve the iPhone is Disabled error, it would be apt to briefly discuss the reasons that lead to the problem for better understanding.
As part of the security feature designed to safeguard your data, iOS automatically disables your iPhone if the wrong passcode attempts are made more than five times.
To be more precise, when you enter the wrong passcode six times, your iPhone is disabled for one minute. From then onwards, the time increases with every wrong passcode attempt.
When you input the wrong passcode 10 times, your iPhone gets completely disabled, and you are asked to connect to iTunes to restore the device.
Error messages that appear after each wrong passcode attempt
- 6 failed passcode attempts: iPhone is disabled. Try again in 1 minute
- 7 failed passcode attempts: iPhone is disabled. Try again in 5 minutes
- 8 failed passcode attempts: iPhone is disabled. Try again in 15
- 9 failed passcode attempts: iPhone is disabled. Try again in 60 minutes
- 10 failed passcode attempts: iPhone is disabled. Connect to iTunes
- You need to keep in mind is that if you have enabled Erase Data setting in the Face/Touch ID section (Settings > Face/Touch ID), allyour data will be wiped out when you enter the wrong passcode 10 times.
Another reason why the ‘iPhone is disabled’ error occurs is the screen damage. If the screen is damaged, it tends to develop ghost touch which causes various sections of the screen to be pressed automatically. As a result, the wrong passcode is entered multiple times which result in the iPhone getting disabled.
What are the solutions to resolve the iPhone is disabled error?
If your iPhone is disabled due to entering of wrong passcodes multiple times, you can solve the problem through a couple of straightforward ways:
- Restore the iPhone using Recovery Mode
- Use iCloud.com to recover the iPhone
- If the screen of your iPhone is damaged and it often develops ghost touch. So, you need to repair the screen.
- With several years of experience, Rapid Repair is a noted iPhone repair centre. So, contact us to get the screen repaired fast at areasonable cost.
How to recover disabled iPhone using iTunes
Step 1. To get started, connect your iPhone to your computer and open Finder or iTunes.In macOS Catalina or later, open Finder on your Mac. In macOS Mojave or earlier or Windows, launch iTunes.
Step 2. Now, put your iOS device in Recovery Mode.
On iPhone 8 and above models, including SE 2020
- Hold down the Side button and Volume Up/Down buttons at once and then slide to power off.
- Next, press and hold the side button until the recovery screen shows up.
iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th gen)
- Hold down the sleep/wake button and then drag the power off slider to shut down the iPhone.
- Next, press and hold the volume down button until you see the recovery mode screen.
iPhone 6s or earlier
- Hold down the sleep/wake button until the power off slider appears. Then, drag the slider to turn off your iOS device.
- Now, hold down the home button until the recovery-mode is activated.
(image credit: Apple Support)
Step 3. Next, select your iOS device and click on Restore iPhone. Now, iTunes/Finder will start downloading the relevant iOS version for your iPhone.
Note: Post restoration, you will be prompted for your Apple ID and Password or your device passcode. If you do not have your Apple ID or Passcode, or don’t remember it, please visit icloud.com and reset your password before attempting recovery else your device will be stuck at activation and there is no way to bypass it except entering the correct Apple ID and Password.
Also, your data on the device will be lost after recovery as the phone is reset to factory defaults. You can restore data either from iCloud or from iTunes, if you have taken a backup of your phone.
How to fix iPhone is Disabled error without iTunes/Finder
Step 1. Navigate to iCloud.com and sign in with the help of your Apple ID and password. After that, click on Find iPhone.
Step 2. Next, click on All Devices and choose your iPhone.
Step #3. Click on Erase button to wipe out all the data of your device.
Now, you can take the help of the setup assistant to set up your device. Along the way, iOS will offer you the option to restore the device from the backup. Once you have restored the device, set up a new passcode which you can remember.
Did you find this guide helpful? Feel free to shoot your thoughts in the comments below.
Read Also – Top 13 Common iPhone Problems And Solutions